Classy Cooking for the College Kids!

College is tough! A lot of times, we live off of ramen noodles or, if you're my amazing roommate, stock up on the Ragu and elbow macaroni. I hope with this blog to not only cater to the typical college student by providing delicious meals that are quick, easy, and make plenty of leftovers to take to school the next day! A lot of my recipes come straight from my grandmother's family cookbook (cause everyone loves to have that comfort food!) but I have many that come from dear friends as well. I want to hear about your recipes and why they're you're favorite. Food brings people together, so let's make it something enjoyable! I'll have everything from healthy salads to delicious desserts, so take a look around as I post.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Peach Crisp

For Thanksgiving this year, I like to be a little less than ordinary in the food I choose to make (for one thing, I do not have time to make the traditional Thanksgiving turkey with all the fixings! And let's face it...as delicious as turkey is, it's time to shake it up a bit!) And as much as I love my pumpkin pie, I thought for dessert this year we'd try something new! Peach crisp still gives a warm, homey feel, goes well with ice cream, and has all the right kinds of spices with delicious peaches!

What You'll Need

1 can (29 oz) sliced peaches, drained
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup regular oats
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup margarine, softened

Start the Cooking!
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 8x8" baking pan. Arrange peaches in pan. Mix remaining ingredients with fork; sprinkle over the peaches. Bake until peaches are tender and topping is golden brown (so about 30 minutes).

Not a fan of peaches?? No problem! You can substitute the peaches for 4 cups sliced pared baking apples (about four medium) and use 3/4 cup sugar instead. Or you can also do a cherry crisp, where you use 1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling (use the same amount of sugar for the peach crisp on this variation).

Enjoy! Will post pictures once it finishes baking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment